Hyden, Miron & Foster, PLLC Law Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2015

What do I need to do if I have not received my W-2?

By: Tiffany Parker Nutt

Most wage earners receive their W-2 forms for 2014 by the end of January 2015. You will need your W-2 in order to file an accurate income tax return. Your W-2 shows your gross income and the taxes withheld from your pay for the previous year. If you have not received your W-2 by mid-February you should contact your employer (or former employer) and request a copy. Also, make sure your employer has your current mailing address.

You can also call the IRS at 1.800.829.1040 if you do not receive your W-2 by February 23, 2015. After February 23, 2015, the IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. When you call the IRS you will need the following information:

  • Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
  • The dates you worked for the employer; and
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2014. You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.

Individual income tax returns are due on or before April 15, 2015. If you have not received your W-2 by this time you have two options. You may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. You can estimate your wages and taxes withheld as best as possible (i.e., information from your final pay stub). Alternatively, you can submit Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You will receive an additional six (6) months to file your tax return. Please note, Form 4868 is not an extension to pay any tax due; it is only an extension of time to file your income tax return. Payment is still due on April 15, 2015.

Archived Posts


© 2022 Hyden, Miron & Foster, PLLC | Disclaimer
About | Attorneys | Client Forms | Resources | Practice Areas | News


Law Firm Website Design by
Zola Creative

901 N. University Avenue, Little Rock, AR 72207 | Phone: 501.482.1787 | 557 Locust Avenue, Conway, AR 72034 | Phone: 501.482.1787
3880 N. Highway 7, Hot Springs Village, AR 71909 | Phone: 501.482.1787 | 721 S Main Street Stuttgart, AR 72160 | Phone: 870.673.0083